ICI Research Staff and Publications
ICI Senior Research Staff
Sean Collins leads the Institute’s Research Department. He oversees statistical collections and research on US and global funds, financial markets, the US retirement market, financial stability, and investor demographics. Before joining ICI in 2000, Collins worked at the US Federal Reserve Board and the Reserve Bank of New Zealand. He is a member of the Group of Economic Advisers (GEA) to the European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA). He has a PhD in economics from the University of California, Santa Barbara, and a BA in economics from Claremont McKenna College.
Senior Director of Industry and Financial Analysis
Rochelle Antoniewicz is senior director of industry and financial analysis at ICI, where she conducts research on the structure and trends of the exchange-traded fund (ETF) and mutual fund industries and on the financial markets in the United States and globally. Before joining ICI, Antoniewicz spent 13 years at the Federal Reserve Board of Governors. She earned a BA in management science from the University of California, San Diego, and an MS and PhD in economics from the University of Wisconsin–Madison.
Senior Director of Retirement and Investor Research
Sarah Holden leads the Institute’s research efforts on investor demographics and behavior and retirement and tax policy. Holden, who joined ICI in 1999, heads efforts to track trends in household retirement saving activity and ownership of funds as well as other investments inside and outside retirement accounts. Before joining ICI, Holden served as an economist at the Federal Reserve Board of Governors. She has a PhD in economics from the University of Michigan and a BA in mathematics and economics from Smith College.
Senior Director of Statistical Research
Judy Steenstra oversees the collection and publication of weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual data on open-end mutual funds, as well as data on closed-end funds, exchange-traded funds, unit investment trusts, and the worldwide fund industry. Steenstra joined ICI in 1987 and was appointed director of statistical research in 2000. She has a BS in marketing from The Pennsylvania State University.
ICI Research Department
The ICI Research Department consists of 42 members, including economists and research analysts. This staff collects and disseminates data for all types of registered investment companies, offering detailed analyses of fund shareholders, the economics of investment companies, and the retirement and education savings markets.
2018 ICI Research and Statistical Publications
ICI is the primary source of analysis and statistical information on the investment company industry. In addition to the annual Investment Company Fact Book, the Institute’s Research Department released 25 research and policy publications and more than 300 statistical reports in 2018.
The Investment Company Fact Book remains one of ICI Research’s most visible products—garnering more than 70,000 visits and downloads in 2018. In its 59th edition, this ICI publication continues to provide the public and policymakers with a comprehensive summary of ICI’s data and analysis. The Fact Book is available at www.icifactbook.org in both PDF and HTML formats. The HTML version contains downloadable data for all charts and tables.
Industry and Financial Analysis
- “The Closed-End Fund Market, 2017,” ICI Research Perspective, April 2018
- “Trends in the Expenses and Fees of Funds, 2017,” ICI Research Perspective, April 2018
Retirement and Investor Research
- “American Views on Defined Contribution Plan Saving, 2017,” ICI Research Report, February 2018
- “Defined Contribution Plan Participants’ Activities, First Three Quarters of 2017,”
ICI Research Report, February 2018
- The BrightScope/ICI Defined Contribution Plan Profile: A Close Look at 401(k) Plans, 2015, March 2018
- “Who Participates in Retirement Plans, 2014,” ICI Research Perspective, April 2018
- “Defined Contribution Plan Participants’ Activities, 2017,” ICI Research Report, May 2018
- “The Economics of Providing 401(k) Plans: Services, Fees, and Expenses, 2017,”
ICI Research Perspective, June 2018
- “What US Households Consider When They Select Mutual Funds,” ICI Research Perspective, August 2018
- “Defined Contribution Plan Participants’ Activities, First Quarter 2018,” ICI Research Report, August 2018
- “401(k) Plan Asset Allocation, Account Balances, and Loan Activity in 2016,” ICI Research Perspective, September 2018
- “The IRA Investor Profile: Roth IRA Investors’ Activity, 2007–2016,” ICI Research Report, September 2018
- “The IRA Investor Profile: Traditional IRA Investors’ Activity, 2007–2016,” ICI Research Report, September 2018
- “Ten Important Facts About 401(k) Plans,” September 2018
- A Close Look at ETF Households, September 2018
- Mutual Fund Investors’ Views on Shareholder Reports: Reactions to a Summary Shareholder Report Prototype, October 2018
- “Ten Important Facts About IRAs,” October 2018
- “Ten Important Facts About Roth IRAs,” October 2018
- “What Does Consistent Participation in 401(k) Plans Generate? Changes in 401(k) Plan Account Balances, 2010–2016,” ICI Research Perspective, November 2018
- “Characteristics of Mutual Fund Investors, 2018,” ICI Research Perspective, November 2018
- “Ownership of Mutual Funds, Shareholder Sentiment, and Use of the Internet, 2018,” ICI Research Perspective, November 2018
- “Defined Contribution Plan Participants’ Activities, First Half 2018,” ICI Research Report, November 2018
- The BrightScope/ICI Defined Contribution Plan Profile: A Close Look at ERISA 403(b) Plans, 2015, December 2018
- “The Role of IRAs in US Households’ Saving for Retirement, 2018,” ICI Research Perspective, December 2018
- “Profile of Mutual Fund Shareholders, 2018,” ICI Research Report, December 2018
ICI’s papers and more are available at www.ici.org/research.
Analysis and Commentary: ICI Viewpoints
In addition to research papers, ICI staff produce analysis and commentary for the Institute’s blog, ICI Viewpoints. Below are some examples of the analysis published in 2018. Please visit www.ici.org/viewpoints to find these and more.
- Pointing Fingers at Index Funds Won’t Explain Market Volatility
- Fund Investors Will “Run”? Sorry, Charlie Brown
- Americans: In Defined Contribution We Trust
- A More Accurate Evaluation of Retirement Plan Participation
- IRA Investors Are Concentrated in Lower-Cost Mutual Funds
- “Common Ownership” Hypothesis Is Unconvincing
- Stock Ownership in the United States: It’s Main Street
- Funds and Proxy Voting
- The Mix of Proposals Matters
- Who Submits Shareholder Proposals?
- Funds Vote Thoughtfully and Independently
- Growing Better with Age: The 401(k) Turns Forty
- Mutual Funds: Rated E for Everyone
- Understanding Interest Rate Risk in Bond Funds
- Debunking Assumptions About Bond Mutual Funds’ Flows and Bond Sales
- Even in Bear Markets, Equity Fund Investors Stay the Course
Trends in Mutual Fund Investing
- Monthly report that includes mutual fund sales, redemptions, assets, cash positions, exchange activity, and portfolio transactions for the period by 42 investment objectives.
Estimated Long-Term Mutual Fund Flows
- Weekly report that provides aggregate estimates of net new cash flows to 16 categories of equity, hybrid, and bond mutual funds.
Estimated Exchange-Traded Fund (ETF) Net Issuance
- Weekly report that provides aggregate estimates of net issuance to six categories of ETFs.
Combined Estimated Long-Term Mutual Fund Flows and ETF Net Issuance
- Weekly news release and report that provides aggregate estimates of net new cash flows and net issuance to six categories of long-term mutual funds and ETFs.
Money Market Fund Assets
- Weekly report on money market fund assets by type of fund.
Monthly Taxable Money Market Fund Portfolio Data
- Monthly report based on data contained in SEC Form N-MFP that provides insights into the aggregated holdings of prime and government money market funds and the nature and maturity of security holdings and repurchase agreements.
Retirement Market Data
- Quarterly report that includes individual retirement account (IRA) and defined contribution (DC) plan assets, mutual fund assets inside retirement accounts, and estimates of mutual fund net new cash flows to retirement accounts by type of fund.
Mutual Fund Distributions
- Quarterly report that includes paid and reinvested capital gains and paid and reinvested income dividends of mutual funds by broad investment classification.
Institutional Mutual Fund Shareholder Data
- Annual report that includes mutual fund asset information for various types of institutional shareholders, broken out by broad investment classification.
Closed-End Fund Data
- Quarterly report that includes closed-end fund assets, number of funds, issuance, redemptions, distributions, use of leverage, and number of shareholders by investment objective.
Exchange-Traded Fund Data
- Monthly report that includes assets, number of funds, issuance, and redemptions of ETFs by investment objective.
Unit Investment Trust Data
- Monthly report that includes the value and number of new trust deposits by type and maturity.
Worldwide Regulated Open-End Fund Data
- Quarterly report that includes assets, number of funds, and net sales by broad investment classification of funds in 47 jurisdictions worldwide.
These and other ICI statistics are available at www.ici.org/research/stats. To subscribe to ICI’s statistical releases, visit www.ici.org/pdf/stats_subs_order.pdf.
Publication of the 2019 Investment Company Fact Book was directed by James Duvall, associate economist, and Judy Steenstra, senior director of statistical research, working with Miriam Bridges, editorial director; Candice Gullett, editor; and Stephanie Schuettenberg, senior designer. Contributors from ICI’s research team who developed and edited analysis, text, and data are Steven Bass, Mike Bogdan, Sailesh Jha, Alex Johnson, Sheila McDonald, Morris Mitler, Doug Richardson, Julieth Saenz, Dan Schrass, and Christof Stahel.